The Institute was based on the 1st of November in 1930 as a Kyiv division of Giprotrans (People's Commissariat of ways of communication) after consolidation of three not large projecting groups: Kyiv branch of Central bureau of the nodes and stations, ‘Vokzalbud’ (Station Building) and a Bridge-test station of South Western Railway and since 1936 is the Kyiv project office named ‘Kyyivtransproek’ after combining with a projecting department of South Western Railway.
In 1939 a Kyiv project office named 'Kyivtransproekt' has been renamed to 'Kyivtransvuzolproekt' and since 1951 reorganized to the State project and survey institute 'Kyivdiprotrans' and since 2006 it is now days name.
The first ten years a task of the staff was global modernization and technical re-equipment of railway transport in the conditions of general industrialization of the USSR, strengthening its defence capability.
In the pre-war period the Institute has completed a large amount of project work related to strengthening of the existing of the rail approaches to the Eastern and Western borders of the USSR.
In 1943 the project-recovery departments have been organized at the base of the Institute at the Moscow-Donbas and South-West railways, in 1944 - at Odessa, Vinnitsa, Lviv and Kovel railways.
In early 1944, after returning from evacuation, the Institute began restoring the railway industry of Ukraine and Belarus which has been destroyed by the Nazis, and in the postwar years, the scope of activities has started to include also the railroad on the territory of Moldova, the central regions of Russia, Siberia and the Far East.
Among the unique engineering and architecture constructions which were built by the projects of Kyivdiprotrans - the railway station in Kyiv, Lviv, Odesa, Chernihiv, Zhytomyr, Cherkasy, Ternopil, Chisinau, Brest, Gomel (the both are in Belarus), Chelyabinsk, Barnaul Magnitogorsk, (all are in the Russian Federation); railway ferry complex on the Black Sea Illichivsk-Varna; an adjustable motor-road bridge with the largest in Europe turning summer wich length is 134 m in Mykolaiv; a post of permutation of the carriages from broad gauge (the CIS) into the Western European gauge in Chop and Yesen (the both are in Transcarpathian region), the large bridges over the river Dnieper, Desna, Western and Southern Bug, Dniester, Niemann, Tisa, Bystrica.
After Ukraine gained independence in 1991, attention of the Institute was focused on the questions of saving energetical resourses on the rail transport. By the projects of the Institute works have been performed as for transformation of the main directions of railways of Ukraine for electric traction trains.
The directions of III and IX European rail corridors are fully electrified.
The most important subjects in the recent years, which were built or constructed for the project or the direct participation of the Institute are:
• the station complexes at the Kyiv-Passenger and Darnitsa stations;
• a rail and road bridge over the Dnieper River in Kyiv;
• an administrative building of the Ministry of Transport of Ukraine in Kyiv;
• an administrative building of the governance of carriages 'Ukrzaliznytsia' in Kyiv;
• a marine railway ferry crossing in the port "Kerch" on the Azov Sea;
• inculcation of high-speed moving in the direction Kyiv - Kharkiv, Kyiv - Dnipropetrovs’k and Kyiv - Moscow.
Kyivdiprotrans has performed fundamental importance developments in the field of railway transport of Ukraine:
• the schemes of the layouts and development of the railways, the main sorting, border, passenger, freight and near-port stations;
• the general schemes of development of the most important railway junctions: Kyiv, Lviv, Odessa, Chop and of the others.
• the schemes of development of the high-speed moving of the trains in Ukraine.
These developments of the Institute are widely used in planning of the development of the railways of Ukraine.
In the different years the Institute was headed by A. Holodov, G. Borisov., A. Saveliev, A. Kompaniets, V. Milenkyy, P. Musienko, M. Bogatyrev, V. Monaschenko, V. Ischenko.
Since 2011 a Director is Yuri Semeshko.